Founded in 1997 in Bend, Oregon, RODMOUNTS designs, manufactures and markets innovative fishing rod carriers for cars. Our market leading RODLOFT PRO has set the standard for car racks.
New for 2010 is SUMO, our new exterior rod carrier. The result of years of research and development, SUMO raises the performance bar once again.
RODMOUNTS - Designed to work with today’s and tomorrow’s cars ™
Suction or Magnet?
There is no “better” system as both types have advantages and
disadvantages. You should consider how you are going to use the SUMO to
help in making a decision.
- Magnets will only adhere to steel surfaces (check your hood and roof with a refrigerator magnet to find out).
- Generally, magnets are easier and faster to use.
- Magnets are less sensitive to temperature, dust and water on the
car’s surface. Magnets will work in extremely cold temperatures; in fact
they are impervious to temperatures.
- Magnets require flat surfaces for optimum adhesion.
- Suction mounts can adhere to any smooth and non-porous surface making them more versatile than magnets.
- Suction mounts can adhere to slightly curved surfaces.
- Suction mounts are more sensitive to cold temperatures and wet and
dirty surfaces. Cold, wet and dirty surfaces can inhibit adhesion.
- Suction mounts are not sensitive to hot temperatures. It takes a bit
more time and effort to set-up suction mounts due to the need to
activate the lever-lock mechanism to create suction (and we’re talking
General Guidelines For Determining Which Mounting Method Is Best For You *
- Are you a winter or fair-weather angler?
- Does your car have a steel roof and hood?
- Do you want to mount to the sunroof or windshield?
- Do you intend to take your SUMO on airlines?
- What type of fishing do you do? Are you driving from hole to hole or do you drive from home to your destination?
- Suction mounts when properly used provide more holding power than magnets
RODMOUNTS has attempted to make SUMO the best rod carrier for outside
of cars that does not require mounting to a roof rack. And short of
drilling into your hood and roof and bolting something down, SUMO is a
great way to transport your rods rigged and ready to fish in a quick and
* RODMOUNTS does not make specific recommendations as to
which method is best for your situation. Also, RODMOUNTS does not make
maximum driving speed recommendations.¹ It is the user’s responsibility
to determine which mounting method is best suited for them. Remember
that magnet and suction mounts are interchangeable and are easy and
quick to change allowing you to customize your SUMO for your specific
¹ RODMOUNTS makes no speed recommendations or ratings due
to factors outside of our control such as quantity and type of tackle
being transported, driving style, road and weather conditions, condition
of vehicle surfaces, improper use or maintenance.