Horodysky's Rip Cord Caddis Black Caddis, Adult, 18
In Stock Ready to Fish.
Usually Ships 3 - 10 Business Days.
For all of its art, fly tying can get pretty scientific. In fact, many
creative fly tyers will tell you that there's often nothing more
valuable to the successful creation of a new fly pattern than the
intense study of fish behavior.
Perhaps no fly tyer is more
familiar with this fact than Andrij Horodysky, a PhD student at the
Virginia Institute of Marine Science and a contracted fly designer with
Umpqua Feather Merchants. Most of Horodysky's cutting edge research
centers on how fish perceive their environment with their eyesight, and
it's no surprise that he's been able to use some of what he's learned
at the fly tying vise.
Horodysky's Rip Cord Caddis - Black
Caddis, with its highly visible parachute post, wiggly rubber legs, and
flat foam body, is an extremely effective imitation of a black caddis
in the adult life stage. This bug's ultra-realistic profile shines
through in all kinds of fly water, helping you catch more trout!
- A PhD student at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science, Andrij Horodysky designed this parachute dry fly with flotation and visibility in mind
- Black Caddis imitation in the adult life stage
- Use as either an impressionistic searching fly or as a realistic imitation when matching the hatch
- Fish on a dead drift in low energy waters; lakes, eddys, and weedy spring creeks are perfect water for this fly
- Be sure trout are feeding on caddis adults at the surface, not subsurface emergers and cripples
- Always observe the rises of feeding trout and aim your dead drift directly at these rises
- Hatches can occur throughout the day across North America
- The most prolific hatches occur in eastern North America during May, while the western watersheds see two stages of activity from April to May and July to August
- SIZE 18