CDC Biot Spinner Callibaetis, Spinner, 16
In Stock Ready to Fish.
Usually Ships 3 - 10 Business Days.
Before the days of fancy fly floatants and other products designed to
keep dry flies drier for longer, fly tyers relied heavily on the
physical properties of natural materials to do the trick.
The Cul du Canard or "CDC" feather of a common duck is found and
harvested from an area near the animal's preen glands, the center where
natural oils are produced in order to keep the duck warm and dry on the
water. CDC feathers are impregnated with these oils and are extremely
water repellent, an attribute many fly tyers of the past exploited to
keep their flies riding high and dry.
The CDC Spinner Callibaetis is an effective imitation of a Callibaetis
mayfly in the spinner life stage. This design boasts long and defined
split tails and spent wings of CDC for a smooth and dry
flush-with-the-surface drift. This classic will have trout in a frenzy
and it'll perform cast after cast.
- This fly pattern includes naturally water repellent CDC feathers as wings, allowing it to sit flush with the surface through the drift
- The fly sports a thick abdomen, prominent tails, and spent wings of CDC feathers
- Callibaetis imitation in the spinner life stage
- These bugs are active in the spring from April to October
- Use as a realistic imitation when matching the hatch during a spinner fall
- Fish on a dead drift in medium and slow water; slow-moving eddys can be extremely productive during and after a spinner fall
- Best results early in the morning or later in the evening
- Minimize surface commotion in clear or shallow water by using long leaders and light tippet
- Giving the fly a few twitches during the drift can simulate the struggle of a spent insect and attract opportunistic trout
- When imitating a drowned spinner, it's often useful to use a nymphing strategy with a strike indicator and a short leader
- Because male spinners fall much earlier than females of the species, it's important to stock your fly box with both a male and female spinner imitation
- SIZE 16